HEALTH PROMOTION OFFICER – SAQA ID 94597
Health Promotion Officer is new profession in health sector that deal with prevention of diseases and improving health lifestyles.
Duties of Health Promotion Officer
- Treat simple diseases, injuries, wounds and refer to the clinic
- Provide basic nursing care
- Provide palliative care
- Take temperature, Bp, Pulse and respiration
- Check outbreak of transmitted diseases, teach and refer for treatment
- Check Sexual Transmitted Infections, teach and refer for treatment
- Check children who are not immunised and refer them for immunisation
- Check pregnant mothers, mothers who have given birth and their babies and refer for treatment
- HIV and AIDS testing and counselling
- Check drug and substance abusers and refer them to rehabilitation centres
- Teach people about dangers of drug and substance abuse
- Teach people about cleanliness of in-house, environment and water
- Teach about women and men’s health
- Teach about child’s health
- Teach about health life styles
Workplace attachment and Prospective employers
Major employer is Department of Health (Clinics, rehabilitation centres, testing and counselling centres) through its implementation of Primary Health Care Re-engineering under NHI.
Other employers include Schools, waste disposal plants, water purification plants, local municipalities, Mental Health Centres, Old age homes, Health Research centers, Cancer foundation, heart foundation, diabetes foundation and NGOs.
Duration of the course
It is one year course with 3 intakes per year that is January, June and September
Learners will write national exams after completing the course. Exams are written in March and October/November every year.
Learners who have passed National Examination will be awarded Occupational Certificate: Health Promotion Officer by Quality Council
Advanced Study Opportunities
Mid level course is being developed to bridge to Degree in Health Promotion Officer
Degree in Health Promotion
Higher certificate in Social Auxiliary